Thursday, July 21, 2011

Phew... What a Week!

Its over. All in all, Summer Synergy was a great success for me, and for many of my fellow livestock exhibitors. While not everyone is able to take a prize or a ribbon home (it isn't peewee hockey, you know), everyone can take away a new skill, a new friend, and even new confidence. For myself and many of my friends, we were fortunate enough to take away scholarships, some got $1000, some $2000, and some, like myself, upwards of $3000. The Calgary Stampede, and all of the associated sponsors, made this great event possible. Without sufficient sponsorship, livestock shows like this would come crashing to the ground, or never occur in the first place. A huge shout out to the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede, The Olds Agricultural Society, Alberta 4-H, Olds College, Bella Spur Innovative Media Inc., Alberta Lotteries, The RBC Foundation, AFSC, Meyers Norris Penny, and so many more like Ted Jenkins and Family, thank you so much. Thanks for supporting youth in agriculture, thanks for supporting the future of agriculture, thanks for supporting the future of food in a growing world.

Since I have been away from you all so long, I figured that I would let you know just what is happening here on the farm. Last Friday, Dad knocked about 20 acres of hay down, all of which we plan to make into small square bales. All was well, for a couple of days, but the humidity slowed the drying process and led to a very bad event for hay-making: Rain. Two thunderstorms rolled through on Tuesday night, depositing 3/4 of an inch of wet water on our lovely hay. Things that make you say S%!t . So now, here I sit, waiting for the hay to finish airing out, and writing to you all. Maybe I will manage some pictures this afternoon. I'll post them if I do.

Until Later.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your scholarship. The Calgary Stampede Scholarships paid for a lot of my education. I am very thankful for their and the people you mentioned above support.

    www.crystalcattle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Amish Stories. Richard from the Amish settlement of Lebanon,Pa.

    ReplyDelete