Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Determination


I am going to continue to eat the beef I produce. I will continue to relish every bite. I am also going to continue to show the world what it means to be a beef producer, what it means to live on a working farm, and just how good life is out here. Additionally, I will continue to debunk the myths and lies propagated by vegetarian associations about the production of livestock, while trying to remain as respectful as possible. It might get tough, it will be a lifelong fight, but it will continue.



I am an environmentally responsible, morally sound, kind, smart, funny and educated person. I take care of my livestock, and every year my family and I eat one of the steers we feed, and sell the others. They go to feed families in Calgary, providing safe, tasty, nutrient-rich Alberta beef for their tables. That is the process I am going to University to learn about. I will continue to support the Alberta Beef Producers, The Canadian Beef Breeds Council, the United Farmers of Alberta, the Canadian Cattle Association, 4-H Canada, FFA, The Canadian Limousin Association, The Alberta Limousin Association, and I will read the Alberta Beef Magazine every month for the rest of my life. I will eat meat or poultry every night for dinner, most days for lunch, and some mornings for breakfast, to support the people who also do what I love to do.



As far as I am concerned, I'm a lost cause for Vegans. They are, of course, forever welcome on this forum, to discuss every topic under the sun, so long as they remain respectful of my choices, as I remain respectful of ytheirs. Remember that, from where I sit, people like them cost me money every time I sell an animal. I respect their right to choose whether they eat meat or not, but I cannot tolerate them trying to "convert" (pardon the negative connotation that seems to have, but it fits) others under my watch and on my forum. So, as I said, they are welcome, their comments are welcome, as are their thoughts. But, their attitude toward the good people who provide the world with protein needs to be checked at the door.



To leave you with proof that Livestock producers as a whole are not the monsters Vegetarians believe we are, here is a quote from "Keeping It Real: Through the Lens of a Farm Girl."



"Nearly one-half of cattle farmers and ranchers volunteer with youth organizations, and more than one-third donate their time to other civic organizations, compared to a national average of seven percent of all Americans." Obviously we are not only farmers and ranchers, but we seem to hold the world together with our general want to do what is right.



Thanks, Gig 'em, and please come back soon. Posts are generally two weeks apart or so.
Posted in response to comments on the "New York Times Meat" article

No comments:

Post a Comment